Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Northern Harrier in Flight

Nikon D300s 300 f4 + 1.7X TC, f/6.7, 1/2500s, ISO 1000

EPCAL has produced once again... and I was able to take advantage of the signature golden light at the grasslands to produce my best in-flight images of a raptor outside of the infamous Gyrfalcon back in October of 2009.  I've been trying to get a shot that would rival this of a Northern Harrier for at least two years now and it's always eluded me... while my ISO was higher than I would like and I would have preferred a slightly different angle, I'm really happy.

Nikon D300s 300 f4 + 1.7X TC, f/6.7, 1/2500s, ISO 1000

These images were made when I came across a Harrier that was flying across the edge of the runway.  I was driving about 25-30 mph with both hands on the camera (good thing there isn't much to hit on that runway!) so certainly not an easy task but I'm glad to have found a cooperative Harrier.

Nikon D300s 300 f4 + 1.7X TC, f/6.7, 1/2500s, ISO 1000

On a less exciting note, there was a Red-tailed Hawk perched on this nest box off in the distance... I'm assuming it's a Kestrel box based on the size of the Hawk compared to the hole but if anyone thinks difference please leave a comment below.

Nikon D300s 300 f4 + 1.7X TC, f/6.7, 1/320s, ISO 1000
By the way, for those interested in the diversity and beauty Long Island has to offer and want to read about this and how it connects to the entire ecology of the greater world, click the link below to check out Carl Safina's latest book The View from Lazy Point: A Natural Year in an Unnatural World.  Also be sure to check back next week for an in-depth review of this fantastic book.  


1 comment:

  1. There has been a gray ghost and bluebirds as well as short eared owls there at dusk. Go get em!

    ReplyDelete