Sunday, January 9, 2011

Lark Sparrow

A trip to EPCAL (which if you are a follower of this blog, is quite a familiar location for me) turned up 50% success.  I missed out on the LeConte's Sparrow even with a good deal of patience (I spoke to some birders who were there when I arrived and they said it was just scurrying around there feet along the runway... ah to have been there earlier).  I guess that was foreshadowing though, as I headed nearby to look for the Lark Sparrow and found it quickly (it sticks out well against the Junco's and smaller Chipping Sparrows).  With a little time spent watching it, the bird began feeding on the roadside.. and these are the results.  So, 1 new species and 1 missed - maybe later this week.  

 I was able to use my strategically parked car as a blind for these shots:

 Posing:

 This last shot shows the significant size difference between a Chipping Sparrow and the out of focus Lark Sparrow:

1 comment:

  1. I recently stumbled upon Mr. Ormand's photography, and must say I am quite impressed. I had the pleasure of knowing the photographer years ago for a short, but most memorable time in my life. Although he didn't outwardly show it to me, I knew he had a very sensitive side to him and a deep connection with nature. Those traits are probably what drew me to him in the first place, and something I still do share with him. I’m happy to see that this is being reflected in his photography; it’s important for everyone to find ways to express their passion.
    What I like best about these photos is that they really show life. I find that many people take life for granted, and not only their own, but the lives of species that coexists with us on this planet. These photos give us a glimpse into those lives; how these animals survive, and in some cases, perish. Not many people realize the vast number of different species that live on Long Island, and it’s unfortunate that our remaining wild places are diminishing. That’s why it’s important for people like Mr. Ormand, and people like me, to continuing teaching about the wonders of this world. Although at times it seems like the world is already too destroyed to keep trying, and that there isn’t a chance for a better future, it’s important to remember that there is always reason for hope.
    Thanks for doing your part, Luke Ormand.

    ReplyDelete